Book Title: Uncovering Student Ideas in Primary Science, Volume 1: 25 New Formative Assessment Probes for Grades K-2 (Uncovering Student Ideas in Science)
Author: Page D. Keeley
2014 Winner of the Distinguished Achievement Award from PreK-12 Learning Group, Association of American Publishers!
- More Picture Perfect Science Lessons: Using Children's Books to Guide Inquiry, K-4 (PB186X2)
- Science Formative Assessment: 75 Practical Strategies for Linking Assessment, Instruction, and Learning
- Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Vol. 1: 25 Formative Assessment Probes
- Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Developmentally Appropriate Instruction for Grades Pre-K-2 (Volume I) (3rd Edition)
- Uncovering Student Ideas in Earth Science and Environmental Science: 32 New Formative Assessment Probes - PB355X (Uncovering Student Ideas in Science)
- What Really Works With Exceptional Learners
- Science Formative Assessment, Volume 1: 75 Practical Strategies for Linking Assessment, Instruction, and Learning
- Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Volume 2: 25 More Formative Assessment Probes
- Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Volume 3: Another 25 Formative Assessment Probes
- Literacy in the Early Grades: A Successful Start for PreK-4 Readers and Writers, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package (4th Edition)
What ideas do young children bring to their science learning, and how does their thinking change as they engage in "science talk"? Find out using the 25 field-tested probes in the newest volume of Page Keeley’s bestselling Uncovering Student Ideas in Science
series, the first targeted to grades K–2. This teacher-friendly book is:
• Tailored to your needs.
The content is geared specifically for the primary grades, with an emphasis on simple vocabulary as well as drawing and speaking (instead of writing). The format of the student pages uses minimal text and includes visual representations of familiar objects, phenomena, or ideas.
• Focused on making your lessons more effective.
The assessment probes engage youngsters and encourage "science talk" while letting you identify students’ preconceptions before beginning a lesson or monitor their progress as they develop new scientific explanations.
• Applicable to a range of science concepts.
This volume offers 8 life science probes, 11 physical science probes, and 6 Earth and space science probes that target K–2 disciplinary core ideas.
• Ready to use.
The book provides grade-appropriate reproducible pages for your students and detailed teacher notes for you, including clear and concise explanations, relevant research, suggestions for instruction, and connections to national standards. Uncovering Student Ideas in Primary Science
is an invaluable resource for classroom and preservice teachers and professional development providers. This age-appropriate book will help you teach more effectively by starting with students’ ideas and adapting instruction to support conceptual change.